Home » » My husband pays me to appear in his movies — Salome Eketunde

My husband pays me to appear in his movies — Salome Eketunde

Written By gideon oluseyi on Sunday 12 January 2014 | 08:19

The Eketundes

Movie producer, Ade Eketunde aka Femi Bright and his actress wife, Salome talk about how they have fared in their 20-year-old marriage

 How did you meet?

Ade: We met at a movie location. She played the role of my girlfriend in the movie.  We met earlier during a commercial shoot for Sola Motors in the early 80s but we did not get talking then. She was one of the girls featured in the commercial. We have been married for 20 years now and we courted for two years.

 Were you also interested in him?

Salome: I did not take him serious when he showed interest in me because I saw him as a brother and a senior colleague. I did not believe that it would come to reality.

 Is it coincidental that you are married to someone in your industry?

Ade: I don't discriminate and was open to getting married to an actress. Before I met her, I had a girlfriend who was an artiste. After we parted ways, I knew I could get married to anybody irrespective of her profession. My wife is very calm and that is one of the things that made me fall in love with her. I also admire her talents. She is not only a marvelous actress;   she is also a good singer. I had always thought of having a wife who has a great voice because even though I compose songs, I don't have the right voice. For instance, when we shot our first movie Igbekun, I composed all the songs and she did the singing.

Salome: But for him, I wouldn't have remained in the industry. Getting married to him has always been a blessing. Because he is a writer and also a director, he opened my eyes to so many things. He nurtured me like a parent.

 Have you ever fought his female admirers?

Salome: I have never had cause to do so because I have never met him with anybody. Since we started courting till date, nothing of such has occurred. Even when we were dating, I used to go to his house at odd times because our houses were not far apart.  Although some ladies accused me of snatching their boyfriend, I later found their claims to be untrue and that they were just interested in him.

Ade: There was an instance when I contacted an actress who is now a big star to feature in my movie. She said she would not play the role because I brought Salome along to speak with her. A few days later, she met Salome at the National Theatre and accused her of snatching her boyfriend.

 Were your colleagues against your union?

Ade: Because I was a flamboyant person then and she had a calm nature, a lot of people tried to discourage our relationship. Some of them said I was going to mess her up, some said I won't be able to take care of her. After we got married and had our first child, Dele Odule confessed that he was one of the people that thought negatively about our relationship. The first day I visited her at home, her half-sister told her parents that I was going to break their daughter's heart because I looked too flashy to be true.  Many people also said she was not my match.

 How will you describe 20 years of being married to each other?

Ade: It has been wonderful. Of course we had our differences earlier in the marriage but nobody gets to hear about them because we have a way of settling our differences.  When she knows I am angry and I raise my voice, she keeps quiet.

 Since both of you are in the industry together, how do you see to the smooth running of the home front?

 Ade: When our son was young, it posed a problem. We resolved not to spend much time outside the home when we are both on location. Sometimes, I will leave in the evening and pick the boy where I dropped him.

 Who apologises first when there is a quarrel?

Ade: We have never taken time to take note of that because we rarely quarrel. When I am angry with her or she is with me, the anger dissolves in seconds.

 How do you spend time together as a couple?

Ade: Since I am a director and she is an actress, we spend time together on location. If we are spending two weeks, we share a room in the hotel and when we are not on location, we hang out together and visit friends.

 Why does she play the lead role in most of your movies?

Ade: It is because she is capable. I will not give her a role she can't interpret properly. Earlier she said something about me nurturing her. Before I came into her life, most of the roles she played were soft and emotional roles. I was the one that told her to start playing hard and aggressive roles.

I don't just give her roles, I study the script to know where she will fit in. Where she does not, I give out the role to who I feel is capable. There is no partiality.

 How do you handle finance in your marriage? 

Ade: Because we are one, she can withdraw money from my account. She has my PIN and only has to consult me on how she wants to spend the money.

 Does he pay you for featuring in his movies?

Salome: I collect my money from him. I don't mind him collecting the money from me later but he has to pay for my services. I also don't charge lesser than my colleagues. I am also a professional.

 Have any of her qualities rubbed off on you?

Ade: Now she is flashier than I am. She is the one attending all the parties while I can be at home for a full month without going to any function.  I have changed a lot. I am a lot calmer.

 What pet names do you have for each other?

Ade:  I call her Sally baby.

Salome: I call him Mister.

Ade: At times my son will call me and say "Mister your wife is calling you"

 How come your wife retained her maiden name?

Ade: It is good you have asked this question. Femi Bright is not my name. It's a name I got from Super Story and it stuck. Ade Eketunde is my real name and that is the name my wife bears.

Share this article :

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Support : OWNED BY | OLANIYI GIDEON OLUSEYI Copyright © 2013-2014. AFRIKMEDIA - All Rights Reserved
Template Created by ghidtech BBM-PIN 75D47FF5
Proudly powered by Blogger